(fans of the Civilization series know that Gilgamesh has the best beard hands down)
Wow...what an experience this episode has been. I've been working on this one around the time Episode 5 was finishing up and after a few revisions and new ideas it's finally finished. The epic of Gilgamesh a la Podcast History of Our World is ready for your listening pleasure. It's got it all - monsters, blasphemy, sound effects, and in a very special first for the show - a guest star! I am beyond fortunate to have voice work of the wildly talented, sensationally sultry, the incomparable Alexandra! Without her stepping in I don't know what I would've done! Probably read the female characters in a bad falsetto voice. While wearing a wig for extra effect.
Yeah...huh? What? Nevermind that, the important thing is that you DON'T have to hear me talk like Marge Simpson AND get someone who knows what they're doing. Everybody wins!
Music and Sound Effect Credits
Experimental Sample - "The Middle East"
Mauro Borgarello - "Mar Rosso"
Thierry de Massia - "DleYaman"
Cast List / Sumerian Mythology
Cast List / Sumerian Mythology

I just found this podcast (late to the party) and I am really enjoying it so far. As someone who has developed a growing love of history, this podcast is great to finding new areas to read about. Also, great job addressing alternate views on iffy theories, even on the rare occasion that I don't reach the same conclusion, its engaging.
ReplyDeleteI just finished the Gilgamesh episode and really enjoyed the effort in tailoring for modern story-telling. It entices you to dive deeper.
Towards the end of the episode, you asked for other epics that may be of interest. I'd refer you to the Persian epic Shahnameh (Book of Kings). Most of the other epics you listed center on one person and cover a period of time, while the Shahnameh does have its share of heroes (Rostam), it spans centuries and many characters. Its an epic rooted in historical fact, but takes artistic liberty to put it mildly.
Although I've been told its better read in the original poetic style, there is an English translation by Dick Davis (version that I have read).
The characters in the Shahnameh are similar to the ones you've described, not the good guys always.
Its also an important work in Persian history as it is often attributed with maintaining (some would even say "saving") the Persian culture and identity in the face of changes brought about by the Arabs and spread of Islam.
Who knows, it might be worth an episode since you have not reached its time in history.
Keep up the engaging podcast.
Great work! I enjoyed the recording, it is nicely read, it has solid voices and a good soundtrack.
ReplyDelete