February 4, 2013

21 - A Kingdom Divided

"And the king answered the people roughly, and forsook the advice given him by the elders. He followed the advice of the young men and said,
'My father made your yoke heavy, and I will add to your yoke. My father also chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions!'"
1 Kings 12:13-14

I'm sorry! I'll never have a vanilla milkshake with my ham sandwich again! Just not the Boo Box!
source: Hook 

By the way that Bible passage up top loses its wickedness when you realize that 'scorpions' refers to a type of whip similar to a cat o' nine tails. It's got knots throughout the throngs to better flay the skin than just a regular whip. Mmmhmm! FASCINATING. Alright anyway, sooooo just two kings were able to hold the kingdom of Israel and Judah together before the whole thing fell apart. I mean it's easy for us to use hindsight and point out what went wrong but really - what did you think was going to happen when you threatened the lives of half your subjects? Genius.

MP3 Download

Music Credits
Pharaoh's Daughter - Hagar

Resources
Territory of the two kingdoms and neighboring states
The Kurkh Monolith, referencing King Ahab's contribution to the coalition against Shalmaneser III
The Black Obelisk, depicting Jehu in submission to Shalmaneser III
Tel Al Rimah Stele, Adad-Nirari III referencing King Joash

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash