December 10, 2012

15 - The Ancient Hebrews

"On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, "To your descendants I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates, the land of the Kenites, the Kenizzites, the Kadmonites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaim, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites and the Jebusites"
Genesis - 15:18-15:21
Family fun time circa 2000 BC

New episode! Huzzah! Are you ready to learn the history of the Ancient Israelites? Although this episode should really be filed more under sorta-history...but I'll explain all that in the show!

Also of course, a big thank you goes out to Michael Levy for allowing his music to be featured! You can find a link to his website, www.ancientlyre.com, on the upper left-hand corner of the page, and the link to today's song below!


MP3 Direct Link


Music Credits
Michael Levy - Noch Havdallah











Resources:

To be added soon!

*I'm aware that I make frequent references to the male characters giving birth to their sons in this episode. Physical limitations aside, I don't think it distracts too much from the story, but it irked me enough to write a sort of apology here for my poor word choice, revealing what I'm going to call my testostebias. Obviously Isaac didn't give birth to Jacob, his wife did...but, you know what I mean. I pledge that in all future episodes I will make sure to keep my biological functions gender correct.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rob, for another good episode!
    Good job handling sensitive material with deftness and sensitivity.
    I was surprised at one point during the episode. In the book of Genesis there is the scene when all of the brothers of Joseph meet him and have a banquet. When the brothers leave the party to go home a silver goblet is stolen and the thief will have to be Joseph's slave. The goblet is found in Benjamin's sack. This is when Joseph reveals his identity as their brother. But who stuck the cup in the sack? Joseph himself did it. I was surprised you did not reiterate your grand thesis. "The vizier always did it."

    I am looking forward to more vizier intrigue in your Byzantine, Arab, and Chinese chapters. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the post Shane!
      Joseph is such a cool character, always keeping his calm, always doing the right thing...but still is able to forgive his brothers. Well, after a little lighthearted pranking of course! Haha yeah not including this scene was a tough choice, but in the end I decided the story would be smoother. But most of the time when I leave out parts, it's because I want to encourage people to pick up a book and find out what they're missing on they're own!

      Ehhh I do feel like I missed an opportunity to continue with my vizier thesis now :) I mean the Bible doesn't CALL him a vizier, just governor of Egypt...but that's essentially the position. But as you said, it's going to be fun going over the scheming advisors of those future empires!

      Delete

HyperSmash